I wrote a post about Clara Cannucciari a few years ago. She had these wonderful little videos on how to cook simple, good food that she learned from her mother during the Great Depression (not to be confused with the Great Disaster that we are in now).
As you all know I love to cook and hate to go out to eat, since it’s usually expensive for what you get and I can just about always cook something better. Like Clara. I wanted to see what was new so I searched and found that her last clip is the one below.
She turned 98 this past August, so she has the right to stop doing anything she wants to, but just the idea that she won’t be around forever and there is an end to everything is a general concept that’s always been hard for me to “get” Sakshi just told me that we DO go on forever, and that what I just wrote is false. Hmmmm….
It’s Indian Summer where I live, with the most amazing sunny and blue sky days, with cool nights and foggy mornings. We’re eating soup for dinner just about every night though, and that is a sure sign of Fall. Working out in my garden today, I heard the sound of leaves falling from the old Dogwood trees. It was like music from a wind instrument… Winter is coming, but not quite yet!
The fear factor for this coming winter is high. With people saying things like, “It’s gonna be a bad one!”, or, “It’ll be the toughest and coldest one we’ve seen!”.
After finding three Wooly Worms in the garden, with each one having a different number and thickness of stripes (one had no stripes, one had a few, and another had it’s whole body striped) I am going to go the Zen way and just take it like it comes.
So here’s my top 10 Reasons to Cook at Home:
1. You don’t have to worry about parking.
2. You can get seconds without feeling foolish.
3. You can drink better wine with your meal.
4. You don’t have to dress up, or even wear a bra.
5. You don’t have to worry about slimy lettuce.
6. You don’t have to be tempted to have dessert, since if you are like us, we don’t have dessert made for each evening meal, just special occasions.
7. You don’t have to worry about being heard over the din of the restaurant.
8. If you are hungry, you don’t have to wait to eat.
9. When you are finished, you don’t have to wait for the check, and then drive home because you are already home.
10. You don’t have to worry about having overpaid for a meal that you didn’t like.