I’m back home, safe and sound, so I thought I would just give the highlights of the trip. I’m still a little jet lagged, so bear with me if I repeat myself. The pictures, by the way, come courtesy of my photographer daughter, Josie!
1) Seeing a mother warthog with her 3 babies:
2) Seeing a herd of elephants rolling in the mud under a hot, hot sun at Madikwe Game Reserve:
4) Visiting the little town of Serowe, with its fabulous museum that features a room dedicated to the life of novelist Bessie Head, as well as great exhibits about the Khama family (rulers of Botswana over the years):
5) Seeing a leopard—a very rare sighting—out for an evening stroll and watching lions drinking at a watering hole:
6) Catching a mother and baby rhino in our spotlight on our night drive through Khama Rhino Sanctuary
7) Playing “Categories” with my girls while waiting for our afternoon safari drive at Tuli, while a monkey stole our opened can of tuna fish!
8) Realizing that we probably weren’t going to die out in the wilderness, even though our 2-wheel drive rented car was having considerable difficulty navigating the sandy roads at Khama and the rocky, potholed roads at Tuli