It seems like the media is never short on scandals about married men behaving badly. Even Marlo Thomas has written about it. I admit, I am fascinated by scandals about men in positions of power or men who put themselves up as role models and then get caught with their pants down. (Check out our archives about other stories I’ve written abut men behaving badly). And, isn’t it great that wives today (many are women over 50) can decide for themselves whether to stay or go? But, I am waiting for one of these wives to stand up at a press conference and call her husband a big jerk.
I played a little game with myself to see how many of these jerks I could remember, with little effort, I came up with this list:
- Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.) for sexting
- Strauss-Kahn (Director of the IMF) accused of rape
- Schwarzenegger (no explanation needed)
- John Edwards (former Senator and Presidential contender) for having an affair and love child while his wife was dying of cancer
- Newt Gingrich – ditto (minus the love child)
- Governor Sanford (South Carolina) for having an affair who he claimed was his “soul mate”
- Elliot Spitzer former Governor of NY caught in a high-priced prostitution ring
- Tiger Woods professional golfer and admitted sex addict
- Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas (sexual harassment scandal)
Seems like the cure-all for all these boys behaving badly is simply to hold a press conference, tell us they are seeking professional treatment to focus on becoming a better person, and then they’re all better. Really, Rehab for Jerks?
Where are they? I’d like to refer a few.